It’s a difficult truth, but young there is a different set of rules for young people in than for the rest of us. While this may seem unfair to the younger generation, a few of those rules are there for an excellent reason. The P plate limitations and special rules in Liverpool NSW are an example of that sort of rule.
Young and inexperienced drivers are statistically much more likely to be involved in a crash than older and experienced drivers. That is particularly so in the first few months of solo driving. Because of this, the NSW Roads and Maritime agency has made some stringent rules about what learner and provisional drivers can and can not do on the street.
Call us on 610282779091
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us on 610282779091
Email us at [email protected]
But additional rules means additional confusion! This guide will outline the P plate constraints in NSW, as well as the principles P platers will need to adhere to, above and beyond the overall NSW road rules.
Getting your License in Liverpool NSW
In Liverpool New South Wales, you want to first get a student license, then advance to your P1 permit (your red P plates) along with your P2 permit (your green P plates). As soon as you’ve completed both provisional stages, you may apply for a complete license.
To get your student license, you need to;
- Be at least 16 years old
- Pass the Driver Knowledge Test
To Receive Your P1 permit, you need to:
- Be at least 17 years old
- Have held a student license for at least a year, unless you are over 25 years old
- Have logged at least 120 hours of supervised driving time (including 25 hours driving at night), unless you are over 25 years old
- Pass the Hazard Perception Test
To get your P2 permit, you need to:
- Have held your P2 permit for at least 12 months
As soon as you’ve been in your own green P’s for 24 months, you may apply to your unrestricted license. You will find more information about obtaining a NSW driver’s license .
P Plate Restrictions in New South Wales
Red and Green P platers can only get 4 demerit points before they get their license suspended in NSW, far less than the 12 points needed to suspend a complete license. That means some crimes carry a direct license suspension.
NSW Red P Plate Rules
- Red P platers can’t drive over 60km/h.
- There’s a 0.00% blood alcohol limit — you canhave no alcohol in your system as a reddish P plater.
- All crimson P platers will find a three month suspension for virtually any speeding offence, together with a fine. Drive slowly!
- All cell phone usage is prohibited for crimson P platers, such as hands-free and speaker phone. It is a 4 demerit point penalty, meaning an automatic 3 month license suspension.
- Between 11pm and 5am, red P platers under 25 years old can only carry 1 passenger under the age of 21. You might have the ability to apply for an exclusion for family, work, or volunteering motives — click here for details.
- If your red P plate license is disqualified you will only have the ability to carry 1 passenger anytime for 12 months after you get your license back.
- P plates must be attached to the exterior of the vehicle — they can not be stuck to the inside of the window.
- Red P platers can tow loaded or unloaded trailers, however, the trailer has to be modest — it should weight less than 250kg unloaded.
- Red P platers are restricted from driving high performance vehicles, like cars with a power to tare mass ratio of 130kW per tonne or higher, and cars with heavily modified engines. The RMS includes a look-up tool here.
NSW Green P Plate Rules
- Green P platers can’t drive over 100km/h.
- There’s a 0.00% blood alcohol limit — you canhave no alcohol in your system as a green P plater.
- All cell phone usage is prohibited for green P platers, such as hands-free and speaker phone. It is a 4 demerit point penalty, meaning an automatic 3 month license suspension.
- you will need to remain on your Green P’s for an additional 6 months if you receive a license suspension for dangerous driving. You’ll find an additional extension for each suspension, not including the suspension period!
- Green P platers are restricted from driving high performance vehicles, like cars with a power to tare mass ratio of 130kW per tonne or higher, and cars with heavily modified engines. The RMS includes a look-up tool .
P Plates Limits: Frustrating, but there for a reason.
Yes, these principles can be annoying, and at times make life more challenging. But they are in place for a reason, and they have been designed to make life simpler for you, your passengers, and fellow road users. That having been said, NSW Transport, and the NSW RMS regularly review the principles, and they do change them, particularly as we get more insight from research into driving behavior.
If you’re looking for a excellent driving school Liverpool to get your P plates, one which does not involve the hassle and expense of owning a private car, you should check out Sydney South Driving School. With a massive array of vehicles throughout to help you make the most of the car you need for almost any excursion. And it is much cheaper than car hire for regular and short excursions.
Sydney South Driving School
Unit 22, 32 Castlereagh St, Liverpool, NSW, 2170